Tuesday, August 31, 2010

A Series of Unexpected Events: Ch 2

The Little Complexities

Character: Ron Ng

In life, there are always ups and downs and of course those moments that are so bland and boring that you tend to forget after a while. I personally try to recall those bland and boring moments and try to find that hint of beauty from it...since I know that it was there...just hidden away. I like to believe that there is beauty in every aspect of life and looking at life through colourful glasses seems to enhance that hidden beauty. My words sometimes sound a bit too flowery, but I can’t help it. My flowery words are what help me put food on the table...as I am a writer after all.

You sometimes notice that writers who write romantic novels are females or sometimes the case may be that the author is a male who has taken the penname as a woman. However, I’m unlike those other writers for the fact that I pride myself in my ability to write novels that touches people’s hearts and I pride myself for being a romantic. If I wasn’t the romantic that I am, I would’ve never captured the heart of my wife in the first place.

My wife used to tell me that the only reason why she married me was not because I was a romantic but because I was an optimist. Though, I still think that the romantic in me captured her even more so than the optimist in me. I have to admit that I miss her and there’s a part of me that wants to turn back the hands of time so that I could still be with her...but what happened, happened...and the optimist in me that my wife so loved told me to move on.

After being married for just seven years she was taken away by a fatal illness and left me in this world alone searching for all its hidden beauties. Sometimes it’s hard to find beauty when all you feel is despair...but again, the optimist in me told me to move on...and of course there was my manager. I still recall after the death of my wife I was uninspired to write, all I wanted to do was let time pass and then stare out into the open sky and wonder why, why am I still here? Months later my manager insisted that I find myself a hobby and find myself some inspiration because my lack thereof was not only affecting me but her as well. And I had to admit she was just as good with words as I am...that Leila Tong...and to think that I was her senior back in our college days.

She’s been with me every step of the way...from my first book until now...sometimes people in the business refer to her as my second wife, but...I still think that’s a bit too farfetched. She’s more of an extremely demanding housekeeper or something along those lines...and to be honest, I’d probably be on the streets without her. According to her she knows what’s best for me...and apparently what’s best for me is what’s best for her. According to her...I should stop spending too much time with my friend’s wife, Tavia...even if there’s nothing between the two of us...

=======================================================

Staring blankly into his laptop screen was the only thing he could do. The document was still blank as he had no spark of inspiration for his next book. He leaned back against his chair and stared aimlessly at his ceiling until he heard his dog barking followed by his ringtone. He got up from his chair and went to the living room where he had left his cell phone. Looking at the caller id he knew it was Tavia.

~ On the phone~

Ron: Hello?

Tavia: Ron, are you busy?

Ron: Nope, I’m experiencing a bit of writer’s block, why?

Tavia: I’m just stuck at home and a bit bored...I don’t want to bother Raymond at work either...so...

Ron chuckled: So you want to use me to kill time, is that right?

Tavia: I guess you can say that...but I’d rather say that I’d like to spend some time with a good friend of mine

Ron: All right, let’s meet at the park near your house...I’ll take my little Chuck along for a walk as well...

Tavia: Sure. I’ll take BiBi out for a walk too...

Ron: Ok, see you in twenty?

Tavia: sounds great

~ end~

This was something they had done on a regular basis. Tavia would be stuck at home with nothing to do, except stare at the four bare walls and take care of her little dog BiBi...and then she’d give him a call. Then the two of them would go and walk their dogs together...eventually the two of them decided to enrol their pups in some sort of obedience classes, making their rendezvous even more frequent.

Then the nagging started...from Leila of course. She always told him how eventually either Tavia or he would start developing feelings for each other...and that just won’t do. She’s married and he can’t be with a married woman...it just won’t do! But Ron would laugh at such a thought because he only regarded Tavia as a friend...well his friend’s wife...and he would never even have the thought of crossing such a boundary...

Twenty minutes later Ron was at the park with little Chuck who’s a Jack Russell Terrier and noticed Tavia already sitting at the bench with her little BiBi, a Bichon Frise.

Ron: You’re early

Tavia turned to look and a bright smile had appeared on her face. She walked her BiBi over to where Ron stood.

Tavia: I do live nearby, you know

Ron: Well, generally a man would be waiting for woman and not the other way around...

Tavia: I guess I’m not your typical woman then

Ron chuckled: Or maybe, you’re a man

Tavia lightly punched his arm

Ron laughed: so un-lady like today...hopefully Raymond doesn’t see this

Tavia’s bright smile seemed to have disappeared with the mention of her husband. Sometimes Ron would feel as though that passion that once lit up Raymond and Tavia’s marriage had slowly disappeared...especially after the loss of their child. But, he was always too afraid to ask...he was too afraid to know about what was going on with their relationship...because being a writer of romantic novels...he knew that if he asks, she would tell him...and then...she would rely on him...and like Leila says ‘that just won’t do!’

Tavia: Raymond’s too busy at work to be caught walking around in the park

Ron: I guess it makes sense considering there was a great economic depression and all...but he should take some time off to spend with you...when was the last time you two went somewhere together?

Tavia shrugged: I don’t remember...I guess it’s been far too long

Ron: birthdays? Anniversaries?

Tavia: He usually buys me a gift and leaves it on the table...with a note, sometimes a phone call...but never a romantic dinner or a nice getaway...

Ron: Oh...well...maybe we should double date

Tavia looked at him: Double date? You have...a girlfriend?

Ron: No...But I could always ask Leila to play the part...she’s good at that

Tavia: oh...maybe you should call Raymond and make plans with him directly...

Ron: Maybe I will...but I don’t think I can until I finish my next book or else Leila might kill me...

Tavia: You could always get a new manager since Leila seems a bit...

Ron: Overwhelming?

Tavia nodded

Ron: But she’s great..and besides if I switch managers for real she WOULD kill me...and you wouldn’t have a friend to walk your dog with...

Tavia smiled: Thanks

Ron: Huh? For what?

Tavia: For being someone I can walk my dog with...a friend

Ron: Hey, when Linda left...you and Raymond were both so supportive of me...and when you lost your child...I just wanted to be there for you guys...but it seems as though Raymond uses his work as a way to get through it...but for you...it’s different

When Ron turned to actually look at Tavia he realized that he had made her tear up a bit. He could see the tears welling up in her eyes, her face reddening and...he couldn’t stand to watch her cry.

He placed a hand on her shoulder and the two of them walked towards a park bench where they took a seat.

Ron: I didn’t mean to bring up...

Tavia: it’s ok...it’s just whenever I think about my baby...she would be eight years old now...I could be over there pushing her on the swings, or watching her go down the slide...but all of that...

Before she could finish her sentence tears had overwhelmed her as she broke down and cried upon Ron’s shoulder.

======================================================

I hope you enjoyed this update...please leave a comment. I actually really like writing this fanfic for several reasons and I really look forward to reading your input about it. At this point all of my characters have been introduced...and they will each get their own chapter of course for a more indepth view of their character.

Please leave me as many comments as possible...and I'll be back with more updates soon.

Randomnness...OUT!!!

2 comments:

Nina said...

So Tavia is Ray's wife. and Leila is ron's manager interesteing character, like always :)
It's a complicated fic right

lorraine said...

Wow, i gotta say i really really liked that update! your style of writing is really different in this story than your previous ones..at least that's the feel im getting from it! i really like it tho, i think mostly because not only do you really describe in depth about the character's personalities/thoughts...it actually also gives myself some insight about life and such. haha sound crazy huh? but iunno, thats what i got from reading the beginning narrative part of ron! loved it! as for the plot itself, im expecting really good story lines to be coming as well! as for now, i finally know that its tavia that lost the baby with raymond. and then ron's ex wife was linda..eeks, thats the sad part!! but happy to know the leila is playing the role on ron's manager, hehe! tavia and ron's relationship should get interesting too! or in fact, complicated too lol. ahhh anyways, once again, i really liked this update!! and i really like your style with this story. its a change but a good and fresh one. Update more please! This has become one of my favs so far. And my other fav is A Truthful Lie. hehe, updates soon soon! xoxo