Thursday, March 31, 2011

Why TVB, Why?

Howdy folks,

I thought I'd share some of my thoughts on the current TVB news and such. No, I'm not going to share any thoughts on the Raymond Lam scandal here...those thoughts...well...they'll obviously be in my update of The Stalker...DUH! But, I'm going to comment on what Sammul Chan recently said in an interview about TVB promoting others who are their 'biological' sons and daughters. I thought that he brought quite a good point to the table. In recent years the shocker of all shockers was when at a TVB anniversary TVB gave their best actor and actress award to well-deserving candidates, Sheren Tang and Wayne Lai, respectively. But...then TVB does something that's ridiculous.

And what did they do? Well...they played along with all of the hype generated and decided to make another series starring those two...which I have yet to watch because...I don't have the patience to do so. But what TVB also went on with was the Laughing gor character. Sure, his character was interesting...but...why TVB, WHY? Why did there have to be a movie, why did there have to be a reference to this Laughing gor character in your other series, WHY is there now a series that is strictly on Laughing gor, WHY?

Being a person who grew up watching TVB series...Michael Tse has never once crossed my mind as a great actor...he is no Wayne Lai...he is no Bobby Au Yeung...who all sprouted out to become leading actors through playing various supporting roles. Michael Tse got lucky with playing Laughing gor, because that character was indeed 'well-written' and I'm using this term VERY loosely. However, Michael Tse did impress me at one point in La Femme Desperado...but...again, his 'partner' was Sheren Tang, whose acting I have always loved.

So...TVB is promoting Michael Tse. So far this year he has one series released and another to be released. I know at this point Michael Tse supporters are going to attack me for saying this...but...WHY? Yes, it's true that TVB has already released two series with Kevin Cheng, two with Steven Ma, and two that has Bosco Wong (Yes, I'm just talking about male actors, don't worry...probably when Yes Sir, No Sir airs...I WILL have something to say about...Tavia Yeung). But...you see, readers, people of the world who have stumbled upon this blog...the characters that those actors played varied...but...for Michael Tse...he has been type-casted.

As you can see...even if he isn't type-casted...his facial expressions are identical...yes...Laughing gor is undercover as YUE CHI-HIU (on the left) and has time-traveled to become Ngo Siu-fung (on the right)...NO WAY!

I am actually very sick and tired of having to see Laughing gor in so many series...I mean Michael Tse...that I might just not watch Emissary...even though I do miss Sammul Chan. TVB should have let Pak-Kiu shine instead of marry that wooden girl...whose name is totally not part of my memory. To be very honest, I would've much preferred another installment of The Academy with Sammul and Ron leading the series...especially because from the last installment, not only did they share greater chemistry compared to previous series (which makes sense), but their acting has also improved...yes, Ron Ng's acting has slowly but surely improved.

So...WHY TVB, WHY?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why? Because, obviously, despite naysayers like you there's a market for Laughing Gor, and TVB is in the business of going where the profits are. Michael Tse may not be a great actor in your mind, but he's a very good actor in many others' -- he's been widely acknowledged as a 演技派 since way before Laughing with a number of outstanding characters while many actors can't even lay claim to one, and if you didn't know that, you just had been turning a blind eye despite purporting to have grown up watching TVB series. Why would his partnering Sheren Tang make his performance in La Femme Desperado any less?? I don't see you saying the same of Wayne Lai, so, let's face it, you're simply being biased. It's laughable to see you pick three images of three different characters and claim he's type-casted because his facial expressions are identical -- for one thing his Rippling Blossom character is as different from Laughing as night and day, and I'm 100% certain most if not all actors will have identical facial expressions at certain points in most if not all of their works! So yeah, please, do not force yourself to watch Emissary and all of his other series, and you'll just have to live with the fact that TVB does seem to be promoting him now, a most well-deserved move which took too long in coming.

randomness said...

lol...I knew I would have this coming at me...but didn't think it would come this soon. Too bad you didn't leave an email or anything so that I could ACTUALLY reply to you...but a reply is needed, nonetheless. Well, for starters...I don't find Michael Tse to be a great actor, and that is my opinion of his acting. I'm also not biased towards Wayne Lai...but I do have to commend his acting as one that is quite good. Pairing with Sheren Tang is an advantage for any actor...because there's chemistry where there should be. I never said that Michael Tse's acting is any less, but rather he had a good performance because he shared great chemistry with Sheren. So...in a way I was praising his acting, though in a subtle manner. I guess subtlety isn't something that everyone can grasp.
The three images I picked shows a very similar facial expression between his three different characters. Now you're right in saying that, sometimes you do have the same facial expression...but the thing is...these three roles that I picked are also similar. If you think about it...all three roles share a similar characteristic, one that is righteous but in his own somewhat perverse way...(I'll stop here)

lorraine said...

friggin hell. good job for updating your blog. SPOKE MY MINDDDDD. me here, totally disagrees with "anonymous" lol. i agree with what u said 100%, and def what Sammul brought up. TVB actually cheeses me out these days with what they're doing. i wouldn't say i like raymond lam too much, nor am i saying i dislike him, im pretty neutral actually - but i feel like TVB is pushing him up on every chance possible. iunno..stuff like that cheeses me out. and just like with michael tse..i feel the same. do they really need to have laughing gor this..laughing gor that?! if i keep typing i dont think i'll ever end to be honest lol, all i wanted to say was...i am actually VERY glad that someone feels the same as i do. heck, i thought i was the only one man -.-

SO, THANK YOU.

ps. im also fan of your fanfics! : )